The European Hematology Association (EHA) is a non-profit organization located in The Hague, The Netherlands, which serves medical professionals, researchers, and scientists with an active interest in hematology. We are proud to be the largest European-based organization connecting hematologists worldwide to support career development and research, harmonize hematology education, and advocate for hematologists and hematology. EHA is governed by the EHA Board and supported in its activities by various committees. An international team of 35 staff members work in a dynamic, results-driven and open environment and take pride in serving the association in an efficient manner.
EHA is looking for an experienced, intellectually curious and dynamic communication professional to assume the rapidly evolving role of manager of the Communication and Media unit. He/she will lead the team in both a strategic and an operational role, and will be responsible for the development and roll-out of communications reflecting overall EHA strategy and its numerous projects and programs.
We are looking for you if you have an intrinsic interest in communication in the healthcare/non-profit sector, if you are able to work in a demanding and highly evolving field and if you are able to support us with your strategic insights to achieve the development, branding and growth of EHA.
Communication Manager (40 hours)
We are looking for:
- A leader for EHA Communication who will work closely with the management team and the Executive Board to shape EHA’s image and values
- A professional who will develop and maintain communication lines within the office and with external stakeholders, including (but not limited to) healthcare professionals and mainstream political and healthcare media/press organizations, as well as working with design partners for EHA’s overall branding and vision strategy
- An expert who has the ability to ensure that EHA’s message is disseminated via social media, websites, newsletters, press releases, brochures, factsheets, position papers and any other distribution channels
- An organized strategist who is resilient to stress and able to adjust to rapidly changing situations.
- A proactive, hands-on communication specialist, with excellent, near-native command of the English language and an understanding of the sensitivities of a global audience in a specialized medical field
As Communication Manager, you will lead EHA’s Communication and Media unit. You will report to the Executive Board and the Executive Director and will be a member of the EHA Management Team.
- Drive and support the implementation of EHA’s media and public outreach strategy
- Identify, bundle, and plan all EHA communication activities from all EHA units
- Harmonize and prioritize EHA’s activities in line with the organization’s overall strategy and create and maintain an overall communications overview
- Develop and turn communication plans into workable communication projects
- Lead the execution of all communication projects in close collaboration with the members of the Communication and Media unit and other EHA units, via the management team
- Support EHA Communication staff with guidance and training and lead the team with positive enthusiasm
- Sharpen EHA’s communication strategy and safeguard the EHA identity in all communications
- Provide hands-on support when needed, especially in content development
- Seek and highlight opportunities for growth and innovation on tactical and strategic levels
Your knowledge and experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in communications or related field
- 5-10 years relevant work experience in (digital) scientific communications, preferably with an understanding of non-profit/medical/research sectors
- 5 years proven experience in leading and motivating teams
- Excellent English language skills and a solid writing and editing background, with relevant experience in developing communication strategies, reports, publications, presentations, stories, persuasive messaging
- Proficiency in analytics, ability to use data-driven insights to produce content
- Excellent knowledge of the international media landscape
- Highly-organized, adept in working in dynamic/digital environments
- Able to plan, prioritize, manage, and execute multiple projects simultaneously and cross-functionally, and to meet tight deadlines
- A minimum of 5 years proven experience in team management
- An effective team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Understanding the bigger context while paying attention to finer details
- Experience in defining and strengthening brand identity
- Well organized, independent and meticulous but flexible
- Excellent understanding and mastery of essential skills for communication-related work
- Strategic, collaborative, diplomatic, and capable of building relationships
- Intrinsically interested in learning new areas of science, healthcare and policy
Who you are
You have a lively personality and a positive attitude. You are strong and confident and not afraid to express your opinion, but you are also curious and a good listener who values the input of others. You are pro-active, independent, and possess a hands-on mentality. You have well-developed analytical skills. You are capable of distinguishing and establishing structures while not losing the overview or the overall goal. You are able to direct decisions, coordinate, and monitor execution and developments as a team manager and project leader. Excellent and clear communication, particularly with professionals, is second nature to you. You see chances and opportunities. You enjoy working in a small organization.
What we offer
- A challenging job in an international environment
- An entry gross salary ranging from €6,000 to €7,400 (depending on knowledge and experience)
- 8% holiday allowance
- A collective pension plan
- 30 vacation days
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and CV before January 1, 2021 to email@example.com. You must be in possession of a valid work permit.
For questions, please contact the EHA Executive Office | +31 (0)70 3020 099
HR Officer: Liz Stokes, firstname.lastname@example.org