Red Cells and Iron
The SWG on Red Cell and Iron focuses on erythroblast and erythrocyte biology in normal and disease states. Furthermore, it focuses its studies on iron-metabolism-related diseases.
This SWG covers the clinical areas of inherited and acquired disorders of the erythrocyte and iron metabolism. Inherited disorders include the hemoglobinopathies and related disorders, disorders of metabolism, membrane abnormalities and other disorders of red blood cell shape, dyserythropoietic anemias and failure of erythroid cell production, and inherited erythrocytosis.
For more information on the upcoming SWG meeting on Red Cell and Iron Metabolism: Click here
Activities of the group include facilitating clinical trials on new drugs for red cell disorders, preparing and evaluating existing guidelines for the best clinical practice, and promoting research programs between clinicians. Moreover, specific educational programs will be established.
The SWG includes the following subcommittees:
- Iron disorders: Clara Camaschella, Italy
- Dyserythropoietic and hyporegenerative anemias: Hannah Tamary, Israel
- Hemolytic anemias: Achille Iolascon, Italy
- Congenital bone marrow failure, aplastic anemias, paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: Antonio M Risitano, Italy
- Thalassemia and Congenital Hemoglobinophaties: Maria Domenica Cappellini, Italy
- Anemia in the elderly: Reinhard Stauder, Austria
- Sickle Cell Disease: Lucia De Franceschi, Italy
Become a registered member of this Scientific Working Group: Apply here