SWG Educational Activities
EHA-SWG meetings proposed in the past calendar year
Given the success of the EHA-SWG Scientific Meetings on 'Hemostasis imbalance: Critical issues and Therapeutic approaches' held in Barcelona 18 to 20 September 2015, and the 'Scientific Conference on Bleeding Disorders: Increase your Knowledge and Improve Patient Care!' held in Barcelona 14 to 20 September 2016, both organized in collaboration with the SWG on Bleeding and thrombosis, in 2017 this SWG proposed a new Scientific Meeting for 2019.
This proposal has been approved, and in 2018 this SWG, together with the SWG on 'Bleeding and Thrombosis', worked to organize the 'EHA-SWG Scientific Meeting on Systemic Risk of Thrombosis or Bleeding' to be held in Madrid from 22nd to 24th November 2019.
This meeting will cover the following topics:
- Venous thromboembolism
- Biological markers to assess the thrombotic risk
- Scoring for bleeding risk
- Platelet threshold for anticoagulant treatments
- Management of bleeding risk in patients with platelet defects
- Bleeding risk of anticoagulation
- Gender-related hemostatic disorders
- Anticoagulant therapy
The learning objective is to make the participants capable of:
- Identifying the etiology and pathogenesis of thrombosis and bleeding tendency in each patient,
- Using appropriately clinical and laboratory investigations to evaluate the thrombotic and bleeding risk,
- Managing patients at risk of thrombosis and hemorrhage during everyday life and on the occasion of hemostatic challenges,
- Defining how to stop bleeding once it occurs, and
- Considering the cost-benefit ratio in the choice of treatment.
Moreover, during 2018 the first bases were set for a scientific meeting on pediatric hematology organized by this SWG together with other four SWGs: 'Red cell and Iron', 'Granulocyte and constitutional marrow failure syndromes', 'Bleeding and thrombosis', and 'Transfusion medicine'. The proposal for this meeting that is transversal to many SWGs will be formalized in 2019.
SWG sessions at EHA congress
SWG session at the 2018 EHA congress in Stockholm
- Session title: New pathogenetic mechanisms of acquired and inherited platelet disorders.
- Session objectives: Improve the knowledge of the pathogenetic mechanisms of platelet disorders to improve their treatment.
- Chair: Carlo L. Balduini, Pavia, Italy.
- Speakers and topics:
- Andreas Greinacher, Germany: Autoimmune heparin- induced thrombocytopenia.
- John W. Semple, Sweden: Platelets and their ability to affect innate and adaptive immunity.
- Federica Melazzini, Italy: Inherited platelet disorders caused by thrombopoietin mutations.
Invited lectures of the chair of the SWG
- 'Treatment of inherited thrombocytopenia', invited lecture at the 11th Annual Congress of the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders, Madrid, Spain, February 2018.
- 'Familial thrombocytopenias', invited lecture at the XLIII National Congress of the Italian Association for Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Bologna, Italy, May 2018.
- 'Differential diagnosis of chronic thrombocytopenias', invited lecture at the 3° Joint AICE-AIEOP Meeting, Bari, Italy, June 2018.
- 'Differential diagnosis of thrombocytopenia', invited lecture at the XXV National Congress of the Italian Society for Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Firenze, Italy, November 2018.