The interaction of von Willebrand factor with platelet glycoprotein Ib: pathological implications and clinical manifestations
The EHA Specialized Working Group (SWG) on Thrombocytopenias and Platelet Function Disorders and the EHA-SWG on Bleeding and Thrombosis are pleased to collaborate on a recent free webinar: "The interaction of von Willebrand factor with platelet glycoprotein Ib: pathological implications and clinical manifestations".
Join us online to learn about the importance of von Willebrand factor (VWF) in various mechanisms focused on GPIba including platelet formation from megakaryocytes, managing disorders related to loss- and gain-of-function variants of GP1BA or VWF, and more.
Chairs: Paolo Gresele & Giancarlo Castaman
Date: October 11, 2023 at 15:00 CEST
The learning objectives of this webinar are:
- To understand the crucial role of the von Willebrand factor (VWF) – GPIba interaction for primary hemostasis: VWF binding to platelet GPIba mediates the first interaction of circulating platelets with the damaged vascular sub-endothelium.
- To recognize the function of the VWF – GPIba interaction in promoting proplatelet formation from megakaryocytes.
- To comprehend that loss-of-function variants in the GP1BA gene cause Bernard-Soulier Syndrome and in the VWF gene cause von Willebrand disease (VWD) type 1, 2A, 2M, 2N and 3.
- To characterize the impact of gain-of-function variants on primary hemostasis: gain-of-function variants in GP1BA causing platelet-type von Willebrand disease (PT-VWD) and in VWF causing VWD type 2B.
- To familiarize with the management of disorders due to loss- and gain-of-function variants of GP1BA or VWF.