EHA and Polish Society’s third tutorial together focused on myeloid and lymphoid leukemias
Seventy-five participants from Europe and the Middle East learned about the advances in biology, genetic characteristics, diagnostic approaches and therapy of leukemias during the EHA-PTHiT Hematology Tutorial on Myeloid and Lymphoid Leukemias in Warsaw, Poland. The tutorial, chaired by G Gaidano, I Hus & T Robak, was held on September 21-22, 2018. This is the third tutorial organized by EHA and PTHiT together.
The international and key opinion leaders that led this meeting include Prof G Gaidano, Prof S Saussele, Prof G Ossenkoppele, Prof F Lo Coco, Prof J Esteve and Prof O Ottmann.
The meeting consisted of eight sessions that in turn contained a lecture, a clinical case and two self-assessment cases. Topics included CML, APL, AML, ALL, CLL, secondary leukemias and rare lymphoid leukemias.
After the meeting, participants were expected to:
- know current management of chronic phase CML (including sequential use of imatinib and newer-generation TKIs and evolving strategies like TKI discontinuation), management of acceleration and blast transformation of CML,
- review current targeted therapies used in patients with acute leukemias based on genetic and epigenetic profile of the leukemic cells, know how to manage patients relapsed after allogeneic stem cell transplantation,
- enhance their knowledge on the approach to lymphoid leukemias treatment in the era of novel targeted therapies including immunotherapy strategies (monoclonal antibodies, CAR T cells) and small molecules (BCR inhibitors, Bcl-2 antagonists, BRAF inhibition),
- know current indications to allogeneic stem cell transplantation in patients with leukemias, and
- be updated on the challenges and current paradigms in the management of elderly patients with leukemias.
More than half of the participants agreed that the tutorial is stimulating and relevant to their work. Almost a hundred percent rated the meeting as excellent.
G Gaidano, I Hus and T Robak, Chairs of the EHA-PTHiT Hematology Tutorial on Myeloid and Lymphoid Leukemias, on September 21, 2018 in Warsaw Poland.
J Gora-Tybor presenting clinical cases on Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia during the EHA-PTHiT Hematology Tutorial on Myeloid and Lymphoid Leukemias, on September 21, 2018 in Warsaw Poland.