Lighting the Flame: Sparking Interest in Hematology
At EHA, we support career development for professionals in hematology, including clinicians, researchers, and physician-scientists.
With ‘Lighting the Flame’, we are broadening our focus to include medical students and recent graduates.
As a young doctor or aspiring physician, you will soon choose your specialty. You may already have ideas about the direction you want to go in, but at this stage of your training, you may not have a realistic picture of clinical practice and research in hematology. You are well surrounded by professors in your training, but they may be busy: You would appreciate a stronger mentorship and guidance.
What is the goal?
With ‘Lighting the Flame’, our goal is to help you in your decision making. We offer you the opportunity to get a clearer image of what the hematology specialty entails and, should you choose it, offer you a head-start in the field.
We do this by:
- Providing information on clinical training and research in hematology in European countries, including summer job opportunities,
- Supporting mentoring from EHA hematologists and researchers (for a selected group of participants),
- Facilitating contacts with national societies,
Who should join?
The program is aimed at medical students, interns, or residents who have not yet decided on their field of specialty, but who may be interested in working as clinical hematologists or researchers (basic or translational research).
You can register by submitting an online application.
What can you expect?
- An online space offering you basic educational tools about hematology, interviews with clinicians and researchers giving insights into their personal experiences, and much more.
- A ''real life'' dialogue with mentors in the form of a retreat, where you will be able to network.
- An in-depth follow-up meeting with mentors detailing the various paths that hematology can offer in research and medical practice.
What is the participation cost?
The ‘Lighting the Flame’ program is available to everyone free of charge.
Would you like to take a more active role in fostering the next generation of professionals in hematology? Are you:
- A (hematology) professor or mentor who would like to tell students or junior residents about this opportunity? You can refer them to the ‘Lighting the Flame’ program. The online platform will be freely available to all. We welcome any suggestions you might have on content (summer job opportunities or other),
- An EHA member (researcher and/or clinician) who would like to share their experience? Stay tuned for the survey we will soon send out
- Representing a national hematology society and would like to collaborate on this exciting program? We will soon contact all National Societies to exchange about this new program.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow EHA on your favorite social media platforms to stay tuned on Lighting the Flame program and EHA updates.
Created by EHA and supported by an unrestricted educational grant from AstraZeneca