Lymphoma, multiple myeloma and marrow failure syndromes better understood during Sri Lanka tutorial
Hematologists from Sri Lanka and surrounding countries learned how to best care for patients with lymphoma, multiple myeloma and bone marrow failure syndromes and stem cell transplantation during the joint Tutorial organized by EHA with the Sri Lanka College of Haematologists on February 23-24 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
This was made possible through sessions which consisted of a lecture, two clinical cases by invited EHA speakers and two self-assessment cases presented by Sri Lankan speakers. Participants took an active part in these sessions by using a voting box.
In this tutorial, attendees particularly learned to:
- Review classical approaches to the characterization of patients with lymphoid malignancies, multiple myeloma and marrow failure syndromes;
- Assess treatment strategies and deal with the management of complications including infections, drug toxicity, tumor lysis syndrome;
- Assess whether to include stem cell transplantation as an appropriate treatment option;
- Review the use of patient characterization through prognostic markers and other indicators to select best treatment modalities (including novel drugs their indications, adverse effects and novel approaches to monitoring patients);
- Review appropriate selection of patients for novel trials and usefulness of current trials and appropriate use of stem cell transplantation.
Participants were made up of 73% MDs, 2% PhDs and 25% in various positions. The average age is 39 and the majority of the respondents spend their time in patient care. They highly appreciated the meeting, as 88% of the delegates would recommend it to their colleagues, and 90% indicated that their objectives were achieved.
The meeting was organized with the main support of EHA and unrestricted educational grants provided by BIOmedica, AJM and MainGate.
EHA would like to thank the chairs, the faculty and the self-evaluation case presenters, and sponsors for their invaluable contribution to this excellent meeting.