Support for Research
Research in hematology is critical to improving our understanding of diseases, clinical practice, and overall patient care. Support for research in hematology is a priority for EHA, including in European Affairs.
For years, EHA together with other medical societies and patient organizations has been advocating for EU-level strategies or collaboration around topics that are now central to the EU’s new policies: accessibility and affordability; patient-centric, unmet needs based development of medicines; dedicated regulatory and data frameworks for personalized medicine and rare diseases. Find EHA’s position papers here.
The EU’s priorities in health policy are reflected in its new multiannual (2021-2027) financial framework and subsequent funding programs. The programs most closely monitored by EHA are:
- Horizon Europe, the EU’s multi-annual framework program for research and innovation with a dedicated Health Cluster and Cancer Mission.
- EU4Health, the EU’s response to the COVID pandemic. EU4Health provides action grants to boost the crisis preparedness and resilience of European health systems, and to support the objectives of the Beating Cancer Plan and Pharmaceutical Strategy.
- Innovative Health Initiative (IHI), public-private funding programme focusing on health research and innovation.
- EIT Health, is an EU agency dedicated to co-fund innovative health initiative relying on business, education and research.
List of relevant calls:
- Pragmatic clinical trials to optimise treatments for patients with refractory cancers (deadline: 7 September 2022)
- Improving and upscaling primary prevention of cancer through implementation research (deadline: 7 September 2022)
- Strengthening research capacities of Comprehensive Cancer Infrastructures (deadline: 7 September 2022)
- Towards the creation of a European Cancer Patient Digital Centre (deadline: 7 September 2022)
- Establishing of national cancer mission hubs and creation of network to support the Mission on Cancer (deadline: 7 September 2022)